polar opposite

reading books as much as I can, which is never enough.

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen - Christopher McDougall McDougall does an amazing job inspiring you to start running, mostly by convincing you that it is what humans evolved to do. Throughout this book I found myself actually wanting to go out for long distance runs, something I have never, ever wanted to do before – I hardly run at all. Through describing his own issues with running throughout his life, extensive accounts of extreme races and the people running them, and his visits to the Tarahumara deep in Mexican caverns, he creates a highly enjoyable book devoted to running.

I definitely recommend reading this if you are wanting to learn more about ultrarunning, have an interest in anthropology, or just want to read about people crazy enough to go for 100 mile runs for fun. The only downside to the book is the author makes a lot of claims about science that has studied the evolution of humans and running, running form, and diets, without really citing the studies or talking about any opposing evidence. That being said, it is a great book, and I'll be looking in the literature for more information – and, apparently, running for fun.

The Gathering
Anne Enright
Imbibe!: From Absinthe Cocktail to Whiskey Smash, a Salute in Stories and Drinks to "Professor" Jerry Thomas, Pioneer of the American Bar
David Wondrich, Dale DeGroff